Google Ad Sense

The Sheila Divine: "Countrymen"

The Sheila Divine - Where Have My Countrymen Gone - Countrymen

Sunday, March 4, 2007

One More Chance

Song: "One More Chance"
Artist: Zebra
Album: Zebra

It was 1983 and I was driving my school bus yellow VW Rabbit back from Boston with my buddy Dave. After a weekend of partying at his his girlfriends' campus (were we studs or what?) we were pumped because we had tickets to see our favorite band, Zebra, on the campus of Hofstra. But then my radiator sprung a leak and the hot coolant (is that an oximoron?) shredded a fan belt, causing the engine light to come on and smoke to emit from under the hood.
Of course, I worked in my dad's VW dealership back then, and had a spare fan belt in my trunk. We put it on, and stopped to fill the radiator with water every half hour until coasting home and then grabbing Dave's car to take to the show. It's fun to look back on but we were horrified at the time, not of being stranded on a freeway in the middle of Connecticut, but of not making it to the show. Zebra was a power trio that was influenced by the likes of Led Zeppelin, Rush and The Moody Blues. In fact, this song was a favorite of ours long before the band was signed to Atlantic Records. The chorus lifts like few choruses lift anymore, and lead singer Randy Jackson has a voice that rivals Robert Plant.

No comments: